Search ×
Gray & Feldman Legal Blog


Actions a Parent Should Consider for a Special Needs Child

What a parent can do to enhance the life of a special needs child

Grandparent aiding special needs childThere are a great many things which a parent does for his or her child with special needs.  All of them are important, and many of them are time consuming.  This series of blogs will highlight some of the forgotten actions you may take which affect the financial life of your child and which protect his or her eligibility for means-tested benefits.  Some actions mentioned can be taken before your child attains age eighteen, and others can be taken any time.  These are six actions which, in my experience, can have an impact on your child’s quality of life.  

1. Speak with close family members about their plans for gifts to your child.
2. Secure a 17-A Guardianship for your child with an intellectual or developmental disability.
3. As needed, establish a First Party SNT for your child.
4. Establish a Third Party SNT for your child.
5. Open an ABLE Account for your child.
6. If appropriate, have your child sign a Power of Attorney and/or Health Care Proxy.     

Previous Article The President Signs the Special Needs Trust Fairness Act into Law
Next Article Actions Prior to Age 18: Have Family Members Communicate and Coordinate Gifts to Your Child
2269 Rate this article:
No rating
Please login or register to post comments.

Theme picker

Contact Us

290 Linden Oaks
Drive Suite 200
Rochester, NY 14625

tel: (585) 218-8620
fax: (585) 248-4961



Connect with Gray & Feldman on LinkedInFollow GFR on Instagram Connect with Gray & Feldman on Facebook